As we all know, English is becoming the most powerful language nowadays. It is because of the importance of good spoken English skills, many people all over the world try different ways to learn the language.
Most of us complain that we do not have a good environment to learn English even though we would like to speak English like a native English speaker. Here are some of the tips to speak English like an American:
- Learn English: Before trying to become an expert in the pronunciation, it is better to learn the language thoroughly. Any language other than our mother tongue will be difficult to understand initially, but it will become easier over the period of time. You can join a formal class, which will be of great use to you in understanding the basic concepts in English. You can also watch some English television programs and movies. Once you start listening more and more, you will be able to learn the language.
- Relax: When you are in the process of practicing spoken English, it is better to relax yourself and talk slowly. You should try to improve your confidence level. If you are not confident enough and if you are worried or nervous about your pronunciation or your slang, you will find it difficult to speak. So just relax and take time to learn and do your best without worrying about the people around you.
- Practice with Friends: It is better to practice spoken English with your friend, if you can find Americans for practicing – it would better so that you will be able to learn their slang. Try to practice conversation between role playing members of the society, like a Doctor and a patient, a shopkeeper and a customer or a teacher and a student. This will be helpful for you in your daily life. If you are not able to find friends for practicing you can try to talk the general public like you can talk to your co-passenger, shopkeeper, etc…
- Total immersion: You can move to an area surrounded by English speaking people. You will be able to pronounce correctly by speaking in English regularly and continuously. You can make a move towards an American City or if you get a chance to work with Americans, it would be easy for you to learn their slang easily. You can practice their slang when you are free. The only disadvantage of learning the American slang is that you will lose your home time slang once you talk speaking in American slang. Try to respond in American English to the questions of others and try to ask questions in the same slang as well.
- Free courses: You can search for some free English courses in your area. You might be able to get the information regarding the Free English courses from the local community center or from your area library. You can also search for Free English courses through online where you will be able to find classes conducted personally or through online.